GATE 2020 – Notification, Exam Dates, Application Form, Syllabus
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering or GATE 2020 is a national level Competitive entrance examination for admission to PG courses of Engineering and Technology all over India. For all graduates who completed the B.Tech program can get admission to the M.Tech or Ph.D courses in various reputed institutions like IITs and IISc in India using the GATE exam score.
The examination is conducted every year by seven IITs and an IISc in India. The GATE exam is not only useful for acquiring admission in top rated colleges but also useful for getting into several government and private organization which are in technical sectors. The GATE score has been announced as a criterion for recruiting candidates into several technical fields.
The AICTE GATE exam 2020 notification and important dates will be announced in the month of July 2019 in the official website. Meanwhile you can check here the details GATE 2020 Syllabus, application form, registration, gate login 2020, etc.
- 1 Is GATE 2020 Compulsory?
- 2 Why GATE Exam is Important
- 3 What’s New in GATE 2020?
- 4 GATE 2020 Brochure
- 5 GATE 2020 Notification
- 6 GATE 2020 Organizing Institute
- 7 GATE 2020 Exam Dates
- 8 GATE 2020 Eligibility Criteria
- 9 GATE 2020 Age Limit
- 10 GATE 2020 Candidate Login
- 11 GATE 2020 Application Form
- 12 GATE 2020 Application Fee
- 13 GATE 2020 Exam Pattern
- 14 GATE 2020 Virtual Calculator
- 15 GATE 2020 Paper Codes
- 16 GATE 2020 Syllabus
- 17 GATE Previous Year Question Papers
- 18 GATE 2020 Exam Centres
- 19 GATE 2020 Admit Card
- 20 GATE 2020 Preparation Tips
- 21 GATE Preparation Books 2020
- 22 GATE Mock Test 2020
- 23 GATE 2020 Answer Key
- 24 GATE 2020 Result
- 25 GATE 2020 Score Card
- 26 GATE 2020 Cut Off
- 27 GATE 2020 Counselling Process
- 28 GATE COAP 2020
- 29 GATE 2020 Admission Details
- 30 GATE 2020 Zonal Centres
- 31 GATE 2020 Official Website
- 32 GATE Exam FAQs
Is GATE 2020 Compulsory?
This is one of the trending questions out there among the GATE aspirants due to a message circulated in social media saying that the GATE 2020 is compulsory. It means the exam will be considered as a requisite exit exam for the students who completes their B.Tech or BE degree in 2020.
Due to so many queries we received in the last few day, we decide make the point clear to help clarify the doubts. The queries were like this:
Is gate compulsory for 2020 batch?
gate 2020 compulsory or not?
Is gate 2020 exit exam?
It was actually published on Facebook by several people and the message was likely based on a report published by New Indian Express on Novemebr 4 which claimed that “GATE might be compulsory of engineering students as exit exam“.
Later the report has been rubbished by R Subrahmanyam, the Secretary of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) though his official Twitter account. The screenshot of the same is shown below.
On 20 November, the AICTE also issued a notice rubbishing the report, stating that no decision had been taken regarding the GATE 2020 mandatory exit exam.
So what to infer? The gate 2020 compulsory news was fake! The authorities haven’t taken such a decision yet. The exam will not be compulsory for the 2021 batch too unless the concerned authority announce announce about the same officially. So you don’t need to worry about the rubbish news.
Why GATE Exam is Important
- M.Tech: Average 40-50% hike in annual salary with better position in companies or R&D firms.
- PSU Jobs: 45+ Public Sector Undertaking firms hire candidates based on GATE score.
- Lecturership: Join any reputed educational institution as faculty.
- Research: Join any central or state research firms as junior or senior research fellow.
- Expertise: To be a subject matter expert, gain more knowledge and add more technical values.
What’s New in GATE 2020?
Well, that’s a common question among the gate aspirants. What will be the changes and the effects of these changes? This year the authority has made a few changes in the examination and they are as follows.
- Candidates can now choose the exam center second choice in any city in India, unlike the previous years where the same was restricted to the zone of first option city.
- From this year on wards candidates have to upload their thumb impression at the time of application.
- Those candidates who completed the qualifying degree in the year 2016 or earlier, should have to upload scanned copy of the degree completion certificate or final semester/ year mark sheet.
GATE 2020 Brochure
The gate brochure is an informative e-book or PDF document which provides a wide range of information about the upcoming gate entrance examination. Every year prior to the examination, the respective organising institute will release the brochure in PDF format at their official website along with a poster. Gate aspirants can download the same from their portal and refer to the same for getting a detailed idea about the examination.
GATE 2020 Notification
The GATE 2020 Notification will be released in July 2019 and the exam dates, application details, procedure, etc. are also now available from the official website of the organizing institute (IIT Delhi).
GATE 2020 Organizing Institute
The GATE 2020 organizing institute is IIT Delhi. The official confirmation is now available from IIT Delhi and if you want to receive latest updates regarding the GATE examination, you can subscribe to our email newsletter so that each and every update will be delivered straight to your inbox. It is really important to get updated with the official gate 2020 news and updates.
GATE 2020 Exam Dates
The GATE exam 2020 date and other details regarding the same will be out while releasing the official exam notification. Still you can check the tentative dates below.
Check GATE 2020 Important Dates below:
|Commencement of Online Registration||1st September 2019|
|Last Date of Application Submission||First week of October 2019|
|Corrections in Application||Second week of October 2019|
|Last date for request for Change of Examination City||November 2019|
|Admit card Download||January 2020|
|GATE 2020 Exam Date||February 2020 (Saturdays & Sundays)|
|Answer Key Publication||Within a week after exam date|
|GATE 2020 Result Date||March 2020|
|Score card Downloading||Last week of March 2020|
|Commencement of Counselling||Second week of April 2020|
GATE 2020 Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible to appear for the GATE 2020 examination there are some criteria that should be satisfied by the candidates.
Here is the complete list of Eligibility criteria for the Candidates:
|Eligible Qualifying Degree||Description||Status of Qualifying Degree||Year of qualifying|
|B.E./ B.Tech/ B.Pharm||4 years B.Tech (after 10+2)in any branch or 3 Years B.Tech after B.Sc. or Diploma in Engineering/ Technology.||Currently pursing final year or Completed||2020|
|B.Arch||5 Years completed. Final year candidates can also apply.||Currently pursing final year or completed||2020|
|B.S./ B. Sc. Research||4 Years course completed after 10+2 or Diploma||Currently pursing final year or Completed||2020|
|M.C.A/ M.A./ M. Sc.||Degree in Mathematics/ Science/ Computer Applications/ Statistics||Currently pursing final year or Completed||2020|
|Int. M.E/ M.Tech (Post B.Sc.) (Four year programme)||4 Years course completed||Currently in the 2nd/3rd/4th year or completed||2010|
|Integrated M.E./M.Tech or 5 year Dual Degree (Engineering/ Technology)||5 Years Integrated M.E./M.Tech course or Dual Degree (Engineering/ Technology)||Currently in the 4th/ 5th year or completed||2021|
|Integrated M. Sc/Integrated B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M. Sc or Integrated 5 year B.S.-M.S.||Currently pursing final year or Completed||2020|
|Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to B.E/B.Tech)||B.E./ B.Tech/B.Arch equivalent examinations of professional societies recognized by UPSC /AICTE/ MHRD||Completed Section A of AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses||N/A|
GATE 2020 Age Limit
In fact, there is absolutely no upper age limit for appearing the GATE entrance examination. But the candidates must have completed the Bachelor’s degree.
GATE 2020 Candidate Login
All the registered gate candidates can login via the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). Gate 2020 login require the candidate’s credentials like Enrollment ID / Email Address, Password and the captcha code.
The above given image is the gate login of the year 2019 which is shown only for model. The same system will be available for the year 2020 shortly.
GATE 2020 Application Form
Here is the step-by-step procedure to register for GATE 2020 Examination.
- First of all you have to register by providing a valid email address and a mobile number with a password.
- After successful registration, you will have to login using the GOAPS 2020 credentials (Enrollment ID and Password).
- Now fill up the application form. You have to upload you photograph, signature, thumb impression, degree certificate and category certificate (if applicable), medical certificate in case of PwD candidates. Final year students can upload the third year (fifth/sixth semester) mark sheet.
- After completing the above steps you will have to pay the application fees. The detailed category/ reservation wise application fee details are provided below table.
- Payment can be done though internet banking or e-challan.
- Once done all these, download and take a print out of the GATE 2020 application form for future reference.
*International Candidates Must Possess a valid Passport to apply for the examination.
GATE Statistics from Previous Years
|Year||Total Applicants||Total Appeared||No. of Candidates Qualified|
GATE 2020 Application Fee
|General Candidates||₹ 1500/-|
|SC/ ST/ PwD Candidates||₹ 750/-|
|Woman Candidates||₹ 750/-|
|International Candidates||US$ 50|
GATE Application Form Correction 2020
The GATE Application form correction is a single time facility for candidates. The first thing you should note is that ensure that you are not making any mistake while filling up and submitting the application form online. But if there is any errors in your application form, then only you have to use the facility. While using this facility, candidates can make changes or edit their name, date of birth, parent name etc.
Also note that the application correction will only be available after a candidate sends a request email (from the GOAPS registered email ID) to the respective zonal office. While sending email make sure that you mention your enrollment ID and nature of correction you want along with the scanned copy of the proof.
How to make corrections in Application Form
- Visit the Official Website of GATE 2020.
- Login to the GOAPS system with your credentials.
- Now click on the link Edit GATE Application Form and make the necessary changes you want.
- Once the changes are made, re verify that everything is fine. Then click on save.
- Submit the application and proceed to payment option.
GATE Application Form Status
The exam organising authority will give the candidates a chance to view the status of their submitted application. This is a very useful facility as it allows the candidates to confirm that their application is accepted or not.
Below mentioned are the various statuses of the application form and their meaning.
- Received: Your application is successfully submitted and receive at the database.
- Under Scrutiny: This means that the application is under detailed checking.
- Accepted: The application form is accepted and it require no further changes.
- Defect Status: The defects marked in the form should be rectified or corrected.
- Status after Rectification: Status after making the changes.
- Rejected with valid Reasons: The application is rejected because the rectification is not done within the prescribed time frame.
GATE 2020 Exam Pattern
The detailed GATE 2020 Exam Pattern is given below:
- No. of Papers: 23 Papers. (Candidates are allowed to appear for any of the 23 papers)
- Mode of Exam: Online only
- Exam Time : 3 hours
- of questions: Total 65 question for maximum 100 marks
- Type of questions: MCQ(Multiple Choice Questions) with 4 options, NAT(Numerical Answer Type) with no options.
- Marking Scheme: MCQ and NAT questions will carry 1 or 2 marks in all papers
- Common section for all papers: General Aptitude (GA). It will contain a total of 10 questions of maximum 15 marks (5 questions of 1 mark & 5 questions of 2 marks)
- Negative Marking: Negative marking of 1/3 marks for the questions carrying 1 mark and 2/3 marks for questions carrying 2 marks. No negative marking for numerical Answer Type questions
Exam Paper Pattern for All papers except XE, GG, and XL:
- 10 questions from General Aptitude (GA)
- 25 questions carrying 1 mark each
- 30 questions carrying 2 marks each
Exam Pattern For Paper GG:
- Part A – 25 questions of 1 mark each. This part is common for all candidates.
- Part B – 30 questions of 2 marks each. This part has two sections, section-1 is of Geology and section-2 is of Geophysics.
- 10 questions from GA.
Exam Pattern For Paper XE:
- Section A – Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory Section) – Total 11 questions will be asked. 7 questions of 1 mark each and 4 questions of 2 marks each. It is common to all candidates.
- Any two of XE sections from B to H – 22 questions. 9 questions carrying 1 mark and 13 questions carrying 2 marks.
- 10 questions from GA.
Exam Pattern For Paper XL:
- Section P – Chemistry (compulsory section) – It contains total 15 questions (5 questions of 1 marks and 10 questions of 2 marks).
- Any two of XL sections Q to U – Total 20 questions (10 questions of 1 mark each and 10 questions of 2 marks).
- 10 questions from GA.
GATE 2020 Virtual Calculator
The virtual calculator is the scientific calculator that appears on the screen while you attend the exam. It is important to have sufficient practice on the gate 2020 virtual calculator so that you can avoid any kinds of confusions at the time of examination. You have to familiarize the features and functionalities.
GATE 2020 Paper Codes
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Life Sciences||XL|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Computer Science & Information Technology||CS||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering & Fibre Science||TF|
|Engineering Sciences||XE||Ecology and Evolution||EY|
GATE 2020 Syllabus
The GATE examination is held for 23 papers. For well preparation the complete syllabus for your respective paper is an inevitable thing. Describing each and every aspects of the syllabus for all the 23 papers in this page is really hard so it would be easy for you to download the PDF file of the syllabus.
You can download the PDF files for all papers from the official website of the GATE 2020 organizing institute.
Update: Is Gate syllabus changes every year? No, Gate exam syllabus does not changes every year. There will be some minor changes which will be announced officially when made. Once there is a change in syllabus, it goes on for at least 6 to 7 years.
GATE 2020 Syllabus PDF Download:
Click on the required paper to download (pdf) the gate 2020 syllabus for
- Aerospace Engineering (AE)
- Agricultural Engineering (AG)
- Architecture and Planning (AR)
- Biotechnology (BT)
- Civil Engineering (CE)
- Chemical Engineering (CH)
- Computer Science & Information Technology (CS)
- Chemistry (CY)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC)
- Electrical Engineering (EE)
- Engineering Sciences (XE)
- Petroleum Engineering (PE)
- Geology and Geophysics (GG)
- Instrumentation Engineering (IN)
- Life Sciences (XL)
- Mathematics (MA)
- Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Mining Engineering (MN)
- Metallurgical Engineering (MT)
- Physics (PH)
- Production and Industrial Engineering (PI)
- Textile Engineering & Fibre Science (TF)
- Ecology and Evolution (EY)
GATE Previous Year Question Papers
Gate previous question papers will be a great material for you to prepare for the examination. It will not only provide you an idea about the pattern of question papers but also practicing the same will improve your speed and will help you a lot. Download and practice several number of previous papers as much as you can. Head over to the below given link to download the same.
GATE 2020 Exam Centres
There are about 194 cities are listed as the cities where aicte gate 2020 examination will be held. It will be conducted in more than 640 test centers across the 26 states and union territories of the country. All the exam centres will be listed under the zonal centres and will be under the control of the respective zones. The international exam centres are listed below:
- United Arab Emirates (UAE): Abu Dhabi/Dubai
- Ethiopia: Addis Ababa
- Sri Lanka: Colombo
- Bangladesh: Dhaka
- Nepal: Kathmandu
Also, Dibrugarh (IIT Guwahati Zone), Burdwan (IIT Guwahati Zone), and Gorakhpur (IIT Kanpur Zone) has been added as new GATE centres.
GATE 2020 Admit Card
The admit card for the GATE examination will be available in the first week of January 2020. When it is available you can download it from the GOAPS website. The same will not be delivered to you by either email or by post. Successfully registered candidates can download the admit card from the website.
For the examination, you have to bring a hard copy of the downloaded admit card along with a valid identity proof to the examination hall. Aadhar Card, Driving license, passport, voters ID, PAN card, Valid College ID, Employee Identification card, etc will be accepted. For international students, only Passport, Government issued ID, Employee ID will be accepted and identity proof.
GATE 2020 Preparation Tips
Gate is an examination where you have to strictly follow the prescribed syllabus. Generally a candidate can prepare for the GATE exam in about 6 months. Here we provide some crucial tips that you can follow to prepare for the upcoming gate 2020. Read them carefully and also follow them.
- At first download the prescribed syllabus for your paper.
- Now you should understand that covering the complete syllabus is not the fact. But solving the questions accurately at the earliest time is the key.
- You should make a list of all possible shortcuts, tactics and trick though which you can end up in the solution.
- For example, you can make any CODES for remembering a long list of things. Just take the first letter of all the points and write it down in a paper. Now rearrange these letters to end up in a spelling of a common word or phrase. Now remember that CODE. Before the exam, just read all the points once and we are sure you will get all the points for the exam.
- Keep solving previous question papers as much as you can. This will give you a clear idea about the types pf questions that you can expect for the examination and that too from the specific topics.
- Make a daily and weekly plan within which you should cover the planned topics. This will make your preparation systematic and punctual. It is one of the main thing that you need while preparing for an exam.
- Another important thing is the TIME MANAGEMENT. Time is very crucial in the exam. So you should study to manage time and to solve the problems quickly. The only way to execute the same is that practice as much problems as you can.
- Make some short notes and list of equations and things like that which can be made use of while making revisions.
- The weaker topics must be arranged and planned in a measured way so that focusing on the same will be easier and ask doubts your friends. This help because it will help you catch the idea in a faster way rather than reading the book. After getting the ideas, you just read the available books.
- Most importantly, never be too anxious with your exam. You just focus on your syllabus in a normal way. Also never compromise food and your health. Remember that a healthy body can grasp things easier and faster. So take adequate food and enough sleep to maintain a good health.
GATE Preparation Books 2020
When it come to preparing for GATE exam, reference books are inevitable. So good reference books can help you win half the battle. One of the major confusions of gate candidates is that which books should they refer. Here we will show you the most useful gate reference books for CE, CS, ME, ECE, EE, IT, CH etc. head over to the article about gate preparation books.
GATE Mock Test 2020
The mock test for gate 2020 will be released by the organising institute in the month of November 2019. It will be a simulation of the original gate examination. By taking the mock test, you will get a clear idea about how exactly the exam would be and also it will be a practice to use the GATE virtual calculator.
GATE 2020 Answer Key
The GATE 2020 Answer Key will be released officially within a few days after the examination date. The answer key will be published separately for all papers. After the official release you can check and compare with your answers to get an overall idea about the chance of getting good colleges. Also there will be a facility for answer key challenge which can be opened after paying a nominal fee.
GATE 2020 Result
GATE 2020 Result will be published tentatively on the last week of March 2020 on the GOAPS portal of the official website of the organizing authority. After the announcement of the results, the GATE 2020 Score Card will be available for those candidates who have secured a mark equal to or above the cut-off marks decided by the authority.
How to Check GATE 2020 Result?
- Visit the official website of GATE 2020.
- Login to the GOAPS 2020 portal by using your credentials.
- The rank of the candidate along with the GATE score will be displayed on the web.
- Candidates are not required to take the print out of the GATE 2020 Result as it will not be considered as a valid document. But you can download the score card from the link prescribed by the authority.
GATE 2020 Score Card
All those candidates who are qualified will be provided with a score card. The same will have a validity of 3 years from the date of result announcement. The score card depicts the performance and talent of the candidate and the same will be treated as a valid document for admission and recruitment purposes by various government and private organizations. The score card will be available to download from the last week of March 2020.
GATE 2020 Cut Off
GATE 2020 cut off marks is a crucial factor that decides the future of a gate aspirant. It decide the eligibility of a candidate for the admission to IITs and IISc. The main thing that you should know is that the GATE 2020 cut off marks will vary branch wise and category wise as well. Generally the cut off marks for the reserved category will be lower than the general category candidates.
GATE 2020 Counselling Process
For the counseling, candidates have to apply individually to IITs after the admission notification is released. There will not be any common counseling. The centralized counseling for M.Tech, M.Arch, etc. will be organized by NITs and the only criterion taken into account will be the GATE 2020 Score.
GATE COAP 2020
From the year of 2017, IITs have started a Common Offer Acceptance Portal (COAP) for candidates to check their admission letters at one place. The GATE 2020 qualified candidates must apply to the IITs via the COAP and check their admission offer letters at the portal. Candidates can accept the offer if it suits them and complete the formalities for the respective institutes.
GATE 2020 Admission Details
|Admission Details||Information Link|
|IIT M.Tech Admission 2020||Click here|
|IISc Bangalore M.Tech Admission 2020||Click here|
|IIIT Bangalore Admission 2020||Click here|
|CCMT 2020||Click here|
|IIST M.Tech Admission||Click here|
GATE 2020 Zonal Centres
|Sl. No.||Zonal Centre||Zone|
|1||IISc Bangalore||Zone 1|
|2||IIT Bombay||Zone 2|
|3||IIT Delhi||Zone 3|
|4||IIT Guwahati||Zone 4|
|5||IIT Kanpur||Zone 5|
|6||IIT Kharagpur||Zone 6|
|7||IIT Madras||Zone 7|
|8||IIT Roorkee||Zone 8|
GATE 2020 Official Website
GATE Exam FAQs
Query: Currently I’m pursing B.Sc. Am I eligible to apply for the upcoming gate exam 2020?
CareerYuga: You can apply for the exam only if it is a 4 year degree. If it’s a 3 year program you are ineligible.
Query: I’ve passed in the year 2019, but I have backlogs. Can I apply for gate 2020?
CareerYuga: Yes, you can apply for the exam but you should clear the backlogs/ supplementary papers within August 2020 to get admission to M.Tech programmes.
Query: How many GATE papers can I apply for?
CareerYuga: You can apply for only 1 paper that is appropriate for the discipline of your degree.
Query: Is it required to send the hard copy of the application form to the Gate Zonal Offices?
CareerYuga: No, It is not required.
Query: What type of identity proofs can be uploaded?
CareerYuga: Examples for vaild proof are Aadhar Card, Passport, Driving License, voters ID, PAN card, College ID etc.
Query: I have completed degree but didn’t receive the certificate. So which document should I upload?
CareerYuga: In this case you can upload the mark sheet of final year semesters (any one).
The above given are some frequently asked questions related to gate examination. If you have any other doubts or queries regarding the exam, then feel free to ask us. Just shoot us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our dedicated support team will get back to you soon.
Still if you have any doubts or queries just comment below and let us know it. We will get back to you within 24 hours. Or if you want a personalized help, just shoot us a mail to email@example.com.
Stay tuned to CareerYuga for more AICTE Gate 2020 latest news and updates.