GATE 2020: Admit Card, Exam Dates, Pattern, Syllabus
GATE 2020 or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering 2020 is an upcoming all India level entrance examination for graduates to get admission for PG courses in Engineering and Technology. Gate exam is one of the most attended competitive examinations in the country. Candidates who completed the Degree or graduation courses and apply for the gate exam 2020 for seeking admission in various reputed colleges across the country. The admission will be on the basis if the GATE Score secured by the candidate. So candidates having a higher score can apply to the IITs and NITs as the first preference. The Gate entrance is usually jointly conducted by the seven IITs and IISc every year. So if you wish to pursue a post graduation course, then you can definitely apply for the exam and also you can start preparing for same now. One thing the candidates should keep in mind is that the Gate score is not only useful for getting admission to the PG courses but also you can apply for various governmental and private organizations in technical sector.
This is the only article you need to read if you are about to prepare and apply for GATE 2020 Examination. Here you can read all the important details like registration, Exam dates, Gate 2020 syllabus, Application Procedure etc.
- 1 Why GATE Exam is Important
- 2 What’s New in GATE 2020
- 3 GATE 2020 Brochure
- 4 GATE 2020 Notification
- 5 GATE 2020 Organising Institute
- 6 GATE 2020 Exam Dates
- 7 GATE 2020 Eligibility Criteria
- 8 GATE 2020 Candidate Login
- 9 GATE 2020 Application Form
- 10 GATE 2020 Exam Pattern
- 11 GATE 2020 Virtual Calculator
- 12 GATE 2020 Syllabus
- 13 GATE Previous Year Question Papers
- 14 Exam Centers for GATE 2020
- 15 GATE 2020 Admit Card
- 16 GATE 2020 Preparation Tips
- 17 GATE Preparation Books 2020
- 18 GATE Mock Test 2020
- 19 GATE 2020 Answer Key
- 20 GATE 2020 Result
- 21 GATE 2020 Score Card
- 22 GATE 2020 Cut Off Marks
- 23 GATE 2020 Counselling
- 24 GATE COAP 2020
- 25 GATE 2020 Admission Details
- 26 GATE 2020 Zonal Centers
- 27 GATE Statistics of Past 7 Years
- 28 GATE 2020 Official Website
- 29 GATE Exam FAQs
Why GATE Exam is Important
- M.Tech: Average 40-50% hike in annual salary with better position in companies or R&D firms.
- PSU Jobs: 45+ Public Sector Undertaking firms hire candidates based on GATE score.
- Lecturership: Join any reputed educational institution as faculty.
- Research: Join any central or state research firms as junior or senior research fellow.
- Expertise: To be a subject matter expert, gain more knowledge and add more technical values.
What’s New in GATE 2020
Well, that’s indeed a frequent question arises from most of the gate aspirants as they are eager to know whether there is any change in the coming examination in terms of exam syllabus, pattern, eligibility etc. So below given are the major changes and newest thing in gate 2020. Let’s check it out.
- You can now choose a second choice of the examination center anywhere in India.
- Candidate should have to upload their thumb impression at the time of registration.
- Those candidates who completed the graduation in or before the year 2016 have to upload their degree completion certificated or final semester/ year mark sheets.
GATE 2020 Brochure
The gate brochure is an informative e-book or PDF document which provides a wide range of information about the upcoming gate entrance examination. Every year prior to the examination, the respective organising institute will release the brochure in PDF format at their official website along with a poster. Gate aspirants can download the same from their portal and refer to the same for getting a detailed idea about the examination.
GATE 2020 Notification
The notification for the gate exam 2020 is one of the much awaited thing by the gate aspirants. The notification will be released on the gate 2020 official website by the organizing authority in the month of July 2019. The same will have the details of examination dates, application details, procedure etc.
You can subscribe to our email newsletter so that we can notify you when the notification is available or published by the exam conducting authority.
GATE 2020 Organising Institute
The GATE 2020 organising institute is IIT Delhi. ie, the gate 2020 conducted/ organised by IIT Delhi. Though the official confirmation about the same is not yet available, most probably Indian Institute of Delhi will be organising the examination. While the same is confirmed officially you can receive the notification if you are subscribing to our newsletter. Not only that every updates regarding the examination will be delivered straight to your inbox. So we highly recommend you to get updated with the news and updates.
GATE 2020 Exam Dates
Below given are the tentative dates of the Gate 2020 examination. The same will be updated with the exact dates of each events when the official dates are released by the exam conducting authority.
Check out the gate 2020 exam date below:
|Availability of GATE Application Form||5th September 2019|
|Last Date of Application Submission||1st week of October 2019|
|Last date for GATE Form Correction||28th October 2019|
|Last date for request for Change of Examination City||17th November 2019|
|GATE 2020 Admit cards will be available from||4th January 2020|
|GATE 2020 Exam Dates||February 2,3,9,10 of 2020|
|GATE Answer Key available on||14th March 2020|
|GATE 2020 Result Date||16th March 2020|
|Score card Downloading begins from||March 30- May 21 of 2020|
|Commencement of Counselling||March 26, 2020 onwards|
The gate 2020 last date for apply online should be remembered. Also we highly recommend to do the online registration and complete the post registration formalities at the earliest to avoid the last minute rush.
GATE 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Who is eligible for Gate exam? Well, here is the complete list of Eligibility criteria for the Candidates. The list of eligibility certificate for gate 2020 will be discussed later in this article.
International Candidates Must Possess a valid Passport to apply for the examination.
|Eligible Qualifying Degree||Description||Status of Qualifying Degree||Year of qualifying|
|B.E./ B.Tech/ B.Pharm||4 years B.Tech (after 10+2)in any branch or 3 Years B.Tech after B.Sc. or Diploma in Engineering/ Technology.||Currently pursing final year or Completed||2020|
|B.Arch||5 Years completed. Final year candidates can also apply.||Currently pursing final year or completed||2020|
|B.S./ B. Sc. Research||4 Years course completed after 10+2 or Diploma||Currently pursing final year or Completed||2020|
|M.C.A/ M.A./ M. Sc.||Degree in Mathematics/ Science/ Computer Applications/ Statistics||Currently pursing final year or Completed||2020|
|Int. M.E/ M.Tech (Post B.Sc.) (Four year programme)||4 Years course completed||Currently in the 2nd/3rd/4th year or completed||2010|
|Integrated M.E./M.Tech or 5 year Dual Degree (Engineering/ Technology)||5 Years Integrated M.E./M.Tech course or Dual Degree (Engineering/ Technology)||Currently in the 4th/ 5th year or completed||2020|
|Integrated M. Sc/Integrated B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M. Sc or Integrated 5 year B.S.-M.S.||Currently pursing final year or Completed||2020|
|Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to B.E/B.Tech)||B.E./ B.Tech/B.Arch equivalent examinations of professional societies recognized by UPSC /AICTE/ MHRD||Completed Section A of AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses||N/A|
GATE 2020 Age Limit
Actually there is no upper age limit for appearing the gate examination. The only thing is that the candidates must be qualified with a bachelors degree.
Update: How many attempts are there for GATE exam?
Actually there is not limit for the number of appearances for gate exam. Also there is no age limit for the candidates.
GATE 2020 Candidate Login
All the registered gate candidates can login via the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). Gate 2020 login require the candidate’s credentials like Enrollment ID / Email Address, Password and the captcha code.
The above given image is the gate login of the year 2019 which is shown only for model. The same system will be available for the year 2020 shortly.
GATE 2020 Application Form
Below given is the complete step-by-step instructions to do GATE 2020 registration. Do check it out.
- At first candidates have to register by giving a valid email address and mobile number with a password.
- Once done with it, login with those GOAPS credentials.
- Next thing you have to do is to fill up the application form. In the process you will have to upload your signature, photograph, thumb impression, degree completion certificate and category certificate (if applicable), medical certificate (in case of PwD candidates). Final year students can upload the third year (fifth/ sixth semester) mark sheet.
- Once all the mandatory filed are filled up and submitted, you have to pay for the examination. Application fee structure for various candidates are provided in a table below.
- You can pay for the exam via e-challan or internet banking.
- After you complete all the above mentioned steps, you can take a print out of the same for future reference.
GATE 2020 Application Fees
|General Candidates||₹ 1500/-|
|SC/ ST/ PwD Candidates||₹ 750/-|
|Woman Candidates||₹ 750/-|
|IAddis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu Candidates||US$ 50|
|Dubai and Singapore Candidates||US$ 100|
GATE Application Form Correction 2020
The GATE Application form correction is a single time facility for candidates. The first thing you should note is that ensure that you are not making any mistake while filling up and submitting the application form online. But if there is any errors in your application form, then only you have to use the facility. While using this facility, candidates can make changes or edit their name, date of birth, parent name etc.
Also note that the application correction will only be available after a candidate sends a request email (from the GOAPS registered email ID) to the respective zonal office. While sending email make sure that you mention your enrollment ID and nature of correction you want along with the scanned copy of the proof.
How to make corrections in Application Form
- Visit the Official Website of GATE 2020.
- Login to the GOAPS system with your credentials.
- Now click on the link Edit GATE Application Form and make the necessary changes you want.
- Once the changes are made, re verify that everything is fine. Then click on save.
- Submit the application and proceed to payment option.
GATE Application Form Status
The exam organising authority will give the candidates a chance to view the status of their submitted application. This is a very useful facility as it allows the candidates to confirm that their application is accepted or not.
Below mentioned are the various statuses of the application form and their meaning.
- Received: Your application is successfully submitted and receive at the database.
- Under Scrutiny: This means that the application is under detailed checking.
- Accepted: The application form is accepted and it require no further changes.
- Defect Status: The defects marked in the form should be rectified or corrected.
- Status after Rectification: Status after making the changes.
- Rejected with valid Reasons: The application is rejected because the rectification is not done within the prescribed time frame.
GATE 2020 Exam Pattern
The below table shows the detailed gate exam pattern for 2020.
|No. of papers||23 papers|
|Mode of Examination||Online only|
|Exam duration||3 hours|
|No. of questions||Total 65 question for max. 100 marks|
|Type of questions||MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions) with 4 options, NAT (Numerical Answer Type) with no options.|
|Marking Scheme||MCQ and NAT questions will carry 1 or 2 marks in all papers|
|Common section for all papers||General Aptitude (GA). It will have a total of 10 questions of max. 15 marks (5 questions of 1 mark & 5 questions of 2 marks)|
|Negative Marking||Negative marking of 1/3 marks for the questions carrying 1 mark and 2/3 marks for questions carrying 2 marks. No negative marking for numerical Answer Type questions|
Exam Pattern For Paper GG:
|Part A||25 questions of 1 mark each|
|Part B||30 questions of 2 marks each. This part has two sections, section-1 is of Geology and section-2 is of Geophysics.|
|No. of questions from General Aptitude||10 questions|
Exam Pattern For Paper XE:
|Section A||Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory Section) – Total 11 questions will be asked. 7 questions of 1 mark each and 4 questions of 2 marks each.|
|Any two of XE sections from B to H||22 questions. 9 questions carrying 1 mark and 13 questions carrying 2 marks.|
|No. of questions from General Aptitude||10 questions|
Exam Pattern For Paper XL:
|Section P||Chemistry (compulsory section) – It contains total 15 questions (5 questions of 1 marks and 10 questions of 2 marks).|
|Any two of XL sections Q to U||Total 20 questions (10 questions of 1 mark each and 10 questions of 2 marks).|
|No. of questions from General Aptitude||10 questions|
GATE 2020 Virtual Calculator
The virtual calculator is the scientific calculator that appears on the screen while you attend the exam. It is important to have sufficient practice on the gate 2020 virtual calculator so that you can avoid any kinds of confusions at the time of examination. You have to familiarize the features and functionalities.
GATE 2020 Syllabus
The gate examination is usually conducted for 23 papers and each paper have its own definite syllabus for gate 2020. To prepare for the exam you have to get the complete syllabus for your paper and go though it. Candidates can now download the syllabus for their respective papers from the below given links:
Update: Is Gate syllabus changes every year? No, Gate exam syllabus does not changes every year. There will be some minor changes which will be announced officially when made. Once there is a change in syllabus, it goes on for at least 6 to 7 years.
GATE 2020 Syllabus PDF Download:
(Click on the required paper to download the syllabus as PDF file)
- Aerospace Engineering (AE)
- Agricultural Engineering (AG)
- Architecture and Planning (AR)
- Biotechnology (BT)
- Civil Engineering (CE)
- Chemical Engineering (CH)
- Computer Science & Information Technology (CS)
- Chemistry (CY)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC)
- Electrical Engineering (EE)
- Engineering Sciences (XE)
- Petroleum Engineering (PE)
- Geology and Geophysics (GG)
- Instrumentation Engineering (IN)
- Life Sciences (XL)
- Mathematics (MA)
- Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Mining Engineering (MN)
- Metallurgical Engineering (MT)
- Physics (PH)
- Production and Industrial Engineering (PI)
- Textile Engineering & Fibre Science (TF)
- Ecology and Evolution (EY)
GATE Previous Year Question Papers
Gate previous question papers will be a great material for you to prepare for the examination. It will not only provide you an idea about the pattern of question papers but also practicing the same will improve your speed and will help you a lot. Download and practice several number of previous papers as much as you can. Head over to the below given link to download the same.
Exam Centers for GATE 2020
The GATE exam 2020 will be conducted in 194 cities across India in 640+ exam centers. Every exam centers will be listed under the respective zonal centers. The name of the examination centers will be available in the admit card. The exam centers outside of the country are listed below.
- United Arab Emirates (UAE): Abu Dhabi/Dubai
- Ethiopia: Addis Ababa
- Sri Lanka: Colombo
- Bangladesh: Dhaka
- Nepal: Kathmandu
GATE 2020 Admit Card
The admit card for gate 2020 examination will be available in the official website of the organising institute in the first week of January 2020. While the same is available, candidates can login to the GOAPS 2020 and download their admit card. The important thing is that the hall ticket/admit card will not be issued to the candidates via email or by post. The only mode for availing the admit card is through online.
While appearing for the gate exam, candidates have to produce a hard copy of the downloaded admit card. Other wise they will not be admitted to the exam hall. Also a valid proof for identity should be carried along with the admit card. Examples for vaild proof are Aadhar Card, Passport, Driving License, voters ID, PAN card, etc.
GATE 2020 Preparation Tips
Gate is an examination where you have to strictly follow the prescribed syllabus. Generally a candidate can prepare for the GATE exam in about 6 months. Here we provide some crucial tips that you can follow to prepare for the upcoming gate 2020. Read them carefully and also follow them.
- At first download the prescribed syllabus for your paper.
- Now you should understand that covering the complete syllabus is not the fact. But solving the questions accurately at the earliest time is the key.
- You should make a list of all possible shortcuts, tactics and trick though which you can end up in the solution.
- For example, you can make any CODES for remembering a long list of things. Just take the first letter of all the points and write it down in a paper. Now rearrange these letters to end up in a spelling of a common word or phrase. Now remember that CODE. Before the exam, just read all the points once and we are sure you will get all the points for the exam.
- Keep solving previous question papers as much as you can. This will give you a clear idea about the types pf questions that you can expect for the examination and that too from the specific topics.
- Make a daily and weekly plan within which you should cover the planned topics. This will make your preparation systematic and punctual. It is one of the main thing that you need while preparing for an exam.
- Another important thing is the TIME MANAGEMENT. Time is very crucial in the exam. So you should study to manage time and to solve the problems quickly. The only way to execute the same is that practice as much problems as you can.
- Make some short notes and list of equations and things like that which can be made use of while making revisions.
- The weaker topics must be arranged and planned in a measured way so that focusing on the same will be easier and ask doubts your friends. This help because it will help you catch the idea in a faster way rather than reading the book. After getting the ideas, you just read the available books.
- Most importantly, never be too anxious with your exam. You just focus on your syllabus in a normal way. Also never compromise food and your health. Remember that a healthy body can grasp things easier and faster. So take adequate food and enough sleep to maintain a good health.
GATE Preparation Books 2020
When it come to preparing for GATE exam, reference books are inevitable. So good reference books can help you win half the battle. One of the major confusions of gate candidates is that which books should they refer. Here we will show you the most useful gate reference books for CE, CS, ME, ECE, EE, IT, CH etc. head over to the article about gate preparation books.
GATE Mock Test 2020
The mock test for gate 2020 will be released by the organising institute in the month of November 2019. It will be a simulation of the original gate examination. By taking the mock test, you will get a clear idea about how exactly the exam would be and also it will be a practice to use the GATE virtual calculator.
GATE 2020 Answer Key
The answer key for each papers will be released officially a few days after the examination. Separate keys will be provided and made available for download for each and every papers.
There is also a challenge option for candidates. They can challenge any answer in case there is no correct option mentioned in the answer key. This can be done via online by paying a nominal fee for the same.
GATE 2020 Result
The GATE 2020 Results will be published in the third week of March 2020 on the official portal of the exam conducting authority. The gate result 2020 will be a crucial thing in the life of a candidate as it determines their future. So everyone can check their All India Result (AIR) by logging into the GOAPS website and also download the score card. Note that the score card will only be available for those candidates who scored a mark equal to or above the prescribed cut-off marks for their paper.
Below given are the steps by which you can check the gate exam result 2020.
- First of all head over to the official website of GATE 2020.
- Login to the GOAPS system using your credentials.
- Now your rank and the gate score will be available on the screen.
- You can now download the score card if available.
- please note that the normal screenshot or print out will not be considered as valid. ONLY the score card is considered to be a valid document for the future purposes.
- So download the score card and keep it with you for future reference.
GATE 2020 Score Card
The GATE Score card is an important document for gate candidates. The gate score card has a validity of 3 years from the date of announcement of the result. So you can produce the same for various purpose like admission, interviews etc.
GATE 2020 Cut Off Marks
The cut off marks will be available only after the official announcement by the conducting authority at the time of publication of result. The branch wise cut off marks will be available then. Meanwhile you can check the graph alongside and get an idea about the same by checking the previous year’s cut off marks.
Below given are the features of the gate cut off marks.
- It determines the eligibility of a candidate for the admission to IITs and NITs.
- GATE 2020 cut off marks will vary branch wise and category wise as well.
- Cut off marks for the reserved category will be lower than the general category.
GATE 2020 Counselling
After the admission notification is out, candidates have to apply for the required institutions individually. Common counselling will not be available in any way. Also separate counselling will be available for all IITs. The only criterion for admission is the GATE Score 2020.
GATE COAP 2020
From the year of 2017, IITs have started a Common Offer Acceptance Portal (COAP) for candidates to check their admission letters at one place. The GATE 2020 qualified candidates must apply to the IITs via the COAP and check their admission offer letters at the portal. Candidates can accept the offer if it suits them and complete the formalities for the respective institutes.
GATE 2020 Admission Details
Below given are the respective links for various type of admissions.
- IIT M.Tech Admission 2020
- IIST M.Tech Admission 2020
- IIIT Bangalore Admission 2020
- IISc Bangalore M.Tech Admission 2020
- CCMT 2020
GATE 2020 Zonal Centers
Below given is the list of all Zonal Centers for GATE examination 2020.
GATE Statistics of Past 7 Years
Source: GATE Conducting Authorities
GATE 2020 Official Website
The official website of the upcoming gate exam is expected to be www.iitm.ac.in
GATE Exam FAQs
Query: Currently I’m pursing B.Sc. Am I eligible to apply for the upcoming gate exam 2020?
CareerYuga: You can apply for the exam only if it is a 4 year degree. If it’s a 3 year program you are ineligible.
Query: I’ve passed in the year 2019, but I have backlogs. Can I apply for gate 2020?
CareerYuga: Yes, you can apply for the exam but you should clear the backlogs/ supplementary papers within August 2020 to get admission to M.Tech programmes.
Query: How many GATE papers can I apply for?
CareerYuga: You can apply for only 1 paper that is appropriate for the discipline of your degree.
Query: Is it required to send the hard copy of the application form to the Gate Zonal Offices?
CareerYuga: No, It is not required.
Query: What type of identity proofs can be uploaded?
CareerYuga: Examples for vaild proof are Aadhar Card, Passport, Driving License, voters ID, PAN card, College ID etc.
Query: I have completed degree but didn’t receive the certificate. So which document should I upload?
CareerYuga: In this case you can upload the mark sheet of final year semesters (any one).
The above given are some frequently asked questions related to gate examination. If you have any other doubts or queries regarding the exam, then feel free to ask us. Just shoot us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our dedicated support team will get back to you soon.